Best Friends

Best Friends

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving- a better day


As I have said, November is hard... Thanksgiving is truly my least favorite day of the year. But this year, I must say a couple things changed...
First, this was the best thanksgiving I can remember having in a dozen years! The morning was hell, but I got myself together and we went for lunch with my wonderful mother-in-law, Jackie. We ate out, Golden Corral, which is a struggle for me as I grew up with everything being home made, having days worth of leftovers, etc. But it was nice. Then we stopped to see my dear friend and sister, Mel, and her family. What was planned to be a half hour visit turned into a 2+ hour day I won't forget! We visited, watched football, and they held us hostage forcing us to join them for dinner! Amazing! All home made food- Mel is incredible in the kitchen! Being with family, it reminded me what Thanksgiving is supposed to be.
Then I got thinking... I have been so freaking selfish! I should be grateful~ I may not spend Thanksgiving with my 'biological' family- but I made that choice... mostly. I have the people around me who I want in my life. Many of my friends- people who mean the world to me, and many many others- don't have that anymore. They have lost their loved ones in this horrid war. And would give anything to spend just one more Thanksgiving with that son, husband, daddy... To those friends of mine- I apologize for my selfish thoughts and statements over the past couple weeks.
I do believe my entire attitude about Thanksgiving has taken a big turn. I just hope next year I can have as positive of an experience as this year was.

No comments:

Post a Comment